Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Lolita in the Rain (Circle Cape Tutorial)

I'm a summer person. I have always dreaded long winters and rain and living in London of course we get both pretty regularly. I used to spend the season feeling miserable in my gigantic Land's End coat. (∩︵∩) And then I discovered lolita! I love wearing lolita in bad weather because with all the layers I'm guaranteed to feel warm and still look elegant. (。^‿^。) ♡

But of course we have a tiny problem in the UK. Rain. ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ♪(┌・。・)┌ヽ`、ヽ` I found a post on egl by a very talented lolita who had made herself a raincoat and it made me think I should do the same. The problem I have with coats and raincoats in lolita is that I find them bulky and not very graceful on me, which is the reason I favour jackets, capes and capelets. I also dislike the fact that lolita coats aren't waterproof. (ノ#-_-)ノ So here we are, a modified tutorial from a pair and a spare's great transparent cape tutorial!

Materials

ღ Waterpoof, breathable fabric (cannot be a stiff a fabric) (1m x standard width)
ღ Lining fabric: fleece (for exta warmth) (1m x standard width)
ღ Ornamental clasps / buttons
ღ Sewing Machine
ღ Ruler + Chalk + Scissors

Measurements:

ღ Cape length (from collar to hip, for example)
ღ Collar

Instructions:


Here is your fabric! ٩(。•‿•。)۶

Fold it in half, twice ~



Mark the length of you cape and draw a circle using this measurement (the length of your cape will be the radius). Mark the length of your collar and draw a circle using this measurement. Cut on the lines.



Unfold your fabric. You should have a nice big circle of fabric. Cut a straight opening and repeat these steps with the lining fabric.



With the right sides of your fabric and lining fabric together, sew along the hemline.

Turn inside out and press or finger press seams flat. Topstich collar.

 Mark where you want to position your clasps or buttons and attach.

 
Vóila! ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ♡

There are several tutorials for normal wear that with simple adjustments (choosing a suitable fabric, adding trimmings) would work very well in lolita. Try searching through historical and vintage patterns.


  1. Butterick B5824 (Great gathered bottom, I dislike the collar however).
  2. McCalls 6001 (Vintage. A buttoned gathered dress).
  3. Circle Poncho (with Lolita appropriate colours and materials).
  4. Transparent Rain Cape (lengthened?) and the Audrey Cape
  5. Simplicity 8672 (Vintage. Princess coat).

No comments:

Post a Comment